Near North of Corfu Town
The Venetian Arsenal: 8 km North of Corfu Town on the right off the road between Kondokali and Gouvia
overlooking the mairna. Nearby, on the main road lies the new Corfu Shell Museum with thousands of beautiful sea shells.(10am-9pm) Tel: 99340
Gouvia: The old Venetian Naval Yard with its multi vaulted ship slips, just after the
crossroads for Dassia. War Galleys which protected the Ionian islands were dry
docked here for repairs.
Kommeno: Polygonal Fort built in 1778 with 70 cannon embrasures.
Cape Kommeno: The lovely bay of Gouvia and islet with the Church of Ypapandi.
Castello & Castelletto: On the hill above Dassia lies the Italianate-Gothic mansion of the Italian Baron
Mimbelli where many royal guests stayed before WW II.
Aghios Markos: A traditional Village with two Byzantine Churches–the Pantokrator (1576) and Aghios Merkourios
(1075), both with well preserved frescoes.
Spartylas: Just beyond Pyrgi with a wonderful view to Corfu Town and refreshments and traditional cuisine.
North Eastern Corfu
Agni: Wonderfull small harbor and beach with calm waters and traditional sea side
tavernas with fresh fish and moderate prices.
Attractive pebble beach and tradtional tavernas.
Kouloura: A small tree lined harbour with jetty and fishing
boats where also lies the old Quartano fortified mansion, where was captured
the seven year old daughter of the master of the house. In 1537 when the Ottoman
pirate Barbarossa took a quarter of the islands' inhabitants (22,000 people)
captive, this little girl's charm, good looks and intelligence caused the Turks
to groom her for her maturity. She became first of the wives of Sultan Selim
II and the mother of Sultan Murad, becoming herself the Valide Sultana Nur Vanu.
She did much to help the Greeks from her position in Constantinople and was
buried with Christian rites in Aghia Sophia as a consequence.
The charming beach of Kerassia is next to the olive groves
of a traditional village and nice waterfront tavernas.
Known for its ancient theater and Temple of Kassios
Zeus. It was founded in 281 BC by Pyrrohs King of Epirus. It also has the ruins of
Castle Pyrgos built by the Angevins. Additionaly, built on the Temples foundations,
stands the medieval Church of the Virgin. Smaller secluded beaches are within
walking distance of the port with its waterfront tavernas and frequent tourists.
Old Peritha: An abandoned village on the slopes of Mt. Pantokrator
with spectacular views, old stone houses and plenty of greenery.
Pantokrator: The islands
highest peak, 25 km North of Corfu Town has a Monastary and views so majestic
the toe of Italy may be seen on clear days as well as the coasts of Albania,
mainland greece and the islands of Paxos, Levkas, and Othoni. A full day excursion.
Hikers and climbers can ascend via the slabs visible above Nissaki.
A traditional village which is one mile from the
abandoned Monastary of Pantokrater tou Askitariou with its exceptional wall
paintings and the monks cells hewn directly into the rocks.
Skripero and Ano
Korakiana: Pleasant villages with charming alleys and
views. Ano Korakiana has over 30 churches and traditional mountain
Very touristic and crowded, but lovely. This is the canal of love, where legend has
it that if two lovers swim through the passage together they will remain united for
life. Unusual geological rock formations and a brown sand beach. Further down
the rough dirt road is the village of Peroulades with a secluded lovely beach
and wierd rock formations reminscent of the southwestern US.
Peroulades to Angelokastro:
From Peroulades continue to the traditional villages of Kavadades, Rahtades,
Daphne, Aspiotades and Kastellanous and see real Corfiot villages without mass
tourism. Roads could be better!
This Byzantine Fort is perched 300 m high on a sheer cliff and could hold up
to 4,000 islanders in times of invasion. It withstood incursions by the Geonese
in 1403, Saracens and even Sueliman the Magnificent in 1537. It was abandoned
by the British after their protectorate was established and today is home to
birds. Its vantage point allowed signalling other island forts in sucession
around the island.
A paved road leads from
Angelokasro to aptly named Bella Vista with its cafes and breathtaking view.
From there one descends to Lakones through olive orchards, small streams and
Famous Resort. The Islands second most popular tourist venue after Corfu Town is somewhat
spoiled by construction. The landscape is wonderfull with green slopes descending
to the sea, with the Monastary-Fortress of The Virgin of Palaeokastros at its
summit. Held to be the site of the ancient Palace of Alkinoos. Saving graces:
a boat trip to nearby grottoes-lagoons and quieter, less accessable
beaches (Liapades is best).
The Monastary holds
Byzantine icons of the Cretan school, a 7,000 BC stone axe, a 12th Century parchment
manuscrpt Bible and the 'bones of a sea monster' washed ashore.
This is the area of
Corfu's best beaches and
most outstanding views.
These traditional villages
are best seen by hired car: Aghios Gordis, Ermones,
In Pelekas, Kaiser Wilhelm
II built his observatory for its excellent views of both the interrior of the
island and the sea.
Sinardes has the Museum
of Folk Art and History and a 15th Century Venetian Church as well as a maritime
exhibition of the 'papyrella' type fishing boat common to the area.
Vagelistra Island is a tiny island off the
west coast of Corfu with a lovely Chapel to the Virgin Mary.
South Western Corfu
Fort Gardiki: The remains of a Byzantine
Castle and Paleolithic occupation.
Lake Korission: These wetlands include one of Corfu's few lakes. The lake is separated from the sea by huge dune and are a favorite spot for migratory birds in the spring. Fresh water lake only
meters from the sea.
Overbuilt Mass Tourist
Benitses: Resort area that was once overrun by young and restless tourists, now restored to a somewhat quieter ambiance. You can have fun here,
there are lots of watersports, and young people looking for a good time.
Stavros: The Benitses Waterworks were built here.
Moraitika and Messonghi: Nearly continuous resort along the beach with lovely scenery inland just a bit from the coast.
Surrounding Small Islands: Daipondia Islands or Othoni Group
All accessable from
Corfu Harbour by fishing boat, small cruise ships or motor boat. Twice a week
to daily. Port Authority: Tel: 34036
Pop: 150, quiet, clean,
pristine with two small villages. According to Homer, Calypso seduced Ulysses here.
The white sand beach, Aspri Ammos, is among the best in Greece. YES!!!
Seven small villages and
the most touristic, very green, great beaches but a half hour walk from rooms to
Perfect, small, clear
water, great beaches, rooms for rent in two small villages. There are cafes and tavernas.
Pop: 2,600, unspoilt and
quiet. Villages are Gaoi, Lakka, Longos, Magazia & Ozias. There are at least ten fantastic
beaches and varied green landscapes and rock formations! Paxoi is five miles long and two
miles wide. It's four hours by boat or daily ferry.
Even better: one town,
few rooms. two of the best beaches in Greece!!!
Other Corfu Pages:
Around Corfu | Corfu Beaches | Historic Corfu | Useful Facts | About Corfu | Corfu Transportation